Join the TMDSAS Support team live to get your application questions answered. Live Q&A on the Texas Health Education Service YouTube Channel.
The Texas Medical Association (TMA) Diversity in Medicine Scholarship Application is Available Now
First, congratulations on being accepted to a Texas medical school! Now that you know
where the next chapter of your academic career will begin, you might be thinking about
how to pay for medical school. But did you know there's an opportunity for pre-med
students from underrepresented racial and ethnic backgrounds to get funding to continue
The Texas Medical Association will provide fifteen $10,000 scholarships through the TMA Diversity in Medicine Scholarship Application for Entry Year 2023 incoming medical students (students who will start medical school in July 2023.)
Each $10,000 scholarship is reserved for students from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups in Texas medical schools/Texas physician workforce. The award is designed specifically to support incoming Texas medical school students by providing financial assistance to help bridge any gaps that might exist between financial aid offerings so your educational goals can become a reality.
- To be eligible to apply, you must be African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, or Native American (includes American Indian/Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander).
- You must be an incoming freshman at a Texas medical school during Fall 2023.
- If you are already attending medical school, you are not eligible to apply.
- One scholarship is given annually per Texas medical school. Should you choose to matriculate elsewhere, you will lose the scholarship and a new recipient is chosen.
- You must complete an online application.
- You must provide confirmation that you have accepted an offer of admission to a Texas medical school (attach letter or email copies).
- You must write an essay not to exceed 750 words explaining how, as a physician, you would improve the health of all Texans.
DEADLINE: Your application must be received no later than 3:00 p.m. CST on Monday, March 27, 2023.
If chosen, you will be notified by mid-April 2023. A scholarship certificate will be presented at Texas Medical Association’s TexMed 2023, annual meeting in Fort Worth, TX on May 19th (attendance required).
Funds will be disbursed directly to your matriculating school starting in July 2023
in increments of $2,500 annually during the first four years of matriculation (to
be split between fall and spring semesters evenly). These scholarships are made possible
through generous donations solicited by the TMA Foundation, the philanthropic arm
How to Apply
You can access the scholarship application here:
Inside Health Education
View Related Items
See what items you can collect now to ensure that you have everything you need when the EY 2024 application opens Monday, May 1st at 8 a.m. CST.
Need guidance about the admissions process and tools to improve your application? Attend the TTUHSCElP Foster School of Medicine's application workshop!