Join us in welcoming The UT Tyler School of Medicine as the 21st member institution at TMDSAS! Here's what you need to know to add this school to your application.
How Do I Select My School Rank Preferences?
Part of the Match process for Texas resident medical applicants requires that you
rank your schools based on your attendance preference. How you rank schools will determine
likely outcomes on Match Day. Use this article to understand what the School Rank
Preference is, when and where to rank your schools, and review the guidance provided
to best rank your schools (especially if you have a Pre-Match Offer).
Note: Only medical applicants who are Texas residents will participate in the Match process and rank their schools.
What Is the School Rank Preference?
You can enter your Match preferences as early as August 1st at 8:00 a.m. CST, when the medical interview season starts.
You can rank all schools where you have interviewed within the TMDSAS Application Portal, based on your attendance preference. The deadline for the Match ranking is Friday, February 18th, 2022 by 5:00 p.m. CST.
Medical schools will submit their ranked lists of the applicants they have interviewed
to TMDSAS. TMDSAS then matches applicants with their highest preference school in
which they were also in the match range for the school's list. The results are announced on Match Day, March 4th at 8:00 a.m. CST.
Where Do I Select My School Rank Preferences?
Log into the TMDSAS Application Portal. Once you log in, click on the [School Rank
Preference] link under [Pending Actions] on the right-hand side of the page. You will only see this link once a school has updated your status to "Interviewed"
on their end. If you don’t see this link, the medical school(s) haven’t updated your status.
If a school doesn’t show up on your [School Preference Rank] page, then your status at that school hasn’t been updated to "Interviewed." TMDSAS does not make any updates or changes to your status. It’s up to the schools to make these changes on their end.
Only the medical schools update statuses and have their procedures for when to make updates. Allow for a few weeks after your interview before contacting the school about updating your status.
Step-by-Step Instructions on Entering Rankings
As you complete interviews, new unranked schools will appear in the list below. Make sure to check back for new schools to rank. You can change your preferences up until Friday, February 18, 2022 at 5 p.m. CST when rankings are locked in.
Schools will appear on your list as soon as their admissions offices update this system.
There may be a delay between the time you have your interview and the time the system
is updated. TMDSAS is NOT involved in this process and doesn't control when schools update your status on their
end to appear on the page.
Below are the schools with which you have interviewed and maintained an active application. You can rank the schools in order of your attendance preference in the list below. The school ranked #1 would be your top choice school.
Your preferences are used in the Match process to match you to your highest ranked school (if that school ranks you accordingly). Schools do NOT see your rankings, and your school rankings do NOT prevent you from receiving interviews or acceptance offers at other schools.
Once you’ve entered your rankings, select the ‘Save & Submit Your Preferences’ button, which is essentially your ‘Save’ button, to save your school rankings as many times as you wish. You can change your preferences up until Friday, February 18th, 2022 at 5 p.m. CST.
Be sure to take a screenshot of your rankings for your reference. Once the deadline passes, this page will no longer be accessible.
How Should I Select My Rank Preferences?
This video runs through scenarios that could occur on the TMDSAS Match Day, depending on how you rank your schools on the [School Rank Preference] page. It also includes examples of when Pre-Match offers come into play.
Additionally, you might want to consider other factors that can help you create the best rank list:
- Review notes from your interviews
- The school’s mission and values as it aligns to your professional goals
- Cost of Attendance
- How much financial aid is offered?
- Location (weather, area, transportation, leisure activities, etc.)
- Proximity to your hometown
- Campus culture
- What does their student support look like? Do they offer the community you’re looking for?
- Research opportunities
- Match List
- Step Scores
- Do they offer the resources you need to succeed?
For example: You’re interested in women’s healthcare. You might want to consider schools that engage with their community, have community clinics, serve BIPOC communities, and provide services targeted towards women. Ask what activities they have so that you can work in the areas you would like to pursue in the health professions. All schools offer unique opportunities and different missions and values. Refer to your notes from past interviews and ask yourself these questions in future interviews. Pay attention to which schools align with you in order to determine how to best rank these schools.
To get an idea of other considerations when making your ranking, Watch the TMDSAS Office Hour: Medical Acceptances
You can make changes to your rankings as many times as you would like up until the deadline of February 18th at 5 p.m. CST when your school rankings are locked in. You are still eligible to receive alternate offers from schools you ranked higher on your list than the match offer you received, if any.
School Rank Preference Guidelines
- The deadline to submit your Match preference ranking is February 18th, 2022 by 5:00 p. m. CST.
- You must rank all the schools where you interviewed, regardless of whether you hold a Pre-Match Offer.
- Applicants holding a Pre-Match Offer who have interviewed at school(s) that did not extend an offer can rank one or more of those schools higher than the pre-match offer school without the risk of losing the Pre-Match Offer (if you do not match to a higher ranked school).
- An applicant holding a Pre-Match Offer who matches to a higher-ranked school will automatically be withdrawn from that Pre-Match Offer school. They will be withdrawn from all other lower-ranked schools. The applicant will remain open to being selected by schools ranked higher than the school they matched to.
- Applicants who do not enter their Match Preference Rank by the deadline will automatically be withdrawn from all medical schools, regardless of whether a pre-match offer has been made. (You will be notified via internal message prior to being withdrawn.)
- Applicants who have interviewed at only one school still need to rank that one school before the deadline.
- Following the Match, the standard rolling admissions process will continue through the beginning of orientation at each medical school.
- If you are holding multiple Pre-Match Offers, you will come out of the match holding only one offer.
- After the rank preference date, applicants are no longer able to view their preferences in the application portal. Make sure to keep a screenshot of your preferences for your records.
Still unsure how this process works? Watch the TMDSAS Office Hour: Medical Acceptances with TMDSAS Director Enrique Jasso to learn more about this process and see the FAQs from applicants who are also going through this process, just like you.
Inside Health Education
View Related Items
Join us in welcoming The UT Rio Grande Valley School of Podiatric Medicine as the 20th member institution at TMDSAS! Here's what you need to know to add this school to your application.